Thursday, April 28, 2011

Crepes

Here's the secret: Crepes are really easy to make if you have a blender and a teflon pan.

I used Alton Brown's crepe recipe of 2 eggs, 3/4 cup whole milk, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup water, 3 tbsp of melted butter.

For savory crepes, I add 1/4 tsp of salt to the batter mix. If I'm in the mood for sweet, I add 1 tsp of vanilla essence and 2-1/2 tbsp of sugar.

Either way, you want to incorporate all of these ingredients into a blender and blend smooth for about 10-15 seconds. Any more, and the wheat gluten in the flour will make your crepes have the texture of rubber floor mats.

The key is to let your batter rest in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes. This way, the bubbles release and the gluten relaxes.

On medium or medium low heat, put some butter in the pan and wait until it starts to sizzle. Pour a little less than 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and swirl it around so there's an even coating on the bottom.

Carefully lift one of the edges (I like to use my fingers), and flip to other side depending on how well you like your crepes. You might like them browner or crisper. You might like them more on the pliable and soft side.

This will make about 16 8" crepes. Fill them to your heart's content. I stuffed my savory ones with mushrooms and garlic, and the sweet ones with bananas, cream cheese and honey.

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea there were so few ingredients in crepes. Hell, I might just give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete